Tuesday, November 5, 2013

$95.00 shoes means independence


 $95.00 SHOES
MEANS INDEPENDENCE
 
 
For 9 years we would make bi-monthly visits to shoe stores to replace ones that look like the below picture.  Troy's Cerebral Palsy causes him to walk alot on his toes especially when he goes fast.  Oh I should mention he is 11 years old so there is only fast pace on his dial.

 
We have gone to shoe store after shoe store to find the perfect shoe.  Let me rephrase that the perfect rubber sole.  One that will not wear out, be affordable and fit braces (AFO's).  All three requirements are the hardest all at the same time.  Add to that shoes that Troy can put on by himself.  Never an easy task for mom or dad to put on let alone him to have to reach down and try to pull them on.
 
 
I even wrote a letter to Nike asking for help and never got a response back.  Searched the Internet and even though there are thousands of hits nothing ever came up for what we needed.
 
 
Two weeks ago I came across a shoe add on a special needs page I belong to and became overjoyed at the prospect of a new place to get shoes (in the US of course).
 
I printed off their chart to measure Troy with his braces on. Within a couple of days I phoned the company and ordered the size of shoe with Velcro and made sure they were the athletic style.  Order was all good until I said we lived in Canada.  The receptionist then gave me a Canadian number to call who upon calling get me a company in Guelph who would order the shoes for us.  Guelph are you kidding?
 
 
Upon our first appointment at Applied Biomechanics we were met with such friendly staff.  Troy got measured up and we would wait for the call the shoes were in.  The next day I would come home to a message Troys shoes were in.  The picture you see above is the pair of shoes Troy had so we were desperately due for a new pair.  I did not even care how much those new US shoes would cost they sounded perfect.  
 
Next appointment I could have cried as I watched them slide with so much ease the shoes onto Troy's braces.  My heart is dancing as I see the loop on the back of the shoe and the loop on the tongue which means Troy will have something to pull with his fingers to get his shoe on easier.  The depth in the shoe means the braces will not slide out. 
 
I looked at the worker and asked, "Where have you been all our brace life?"  We all chuckled.  To see Troys face and excitement to put on his own shoes after so long was priceless. He got bugged alot by teachers and EA's at school that he could not get on his own shoes over his brace and I continually explained to them how hard it was.  Now he can do it.
 
I went up to the window to pay and when she said, "$95.00 please!" I did not even care.  My heart is so happy.
 
Today for the first time in years Troy came into the kitchen before school and said, "Mom I got my shoes on I am all ready."  We gave each other a big hug.
 
I am also excited because this new place in Guelph also makes braces which means Emma and Troy can get them there in the future which means less trips to Hamilton.
 
Thank you God for people who make $95.00 shoes.  for companies like applied Biomechanics in Guelph for their compassion to help people get the right orthotics.  I am still in aw...
Ps hoping that work benefits will cover the cost.
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment